Thursday, November 27, 2008

Family

I am up early so I can finish cooking, get a shower, wake up my son and drive a hour and a half to Wetumpka to spend Thanksgiving with my family. Normally I am very excited about holidays and spending time with my family, but today - not so much.

My baby sister Wendy called me last night in tears because Mom was being so hateful to her. Wendy along with another sister, Anne, and my sister in law Jean were all helping MOM cook yesterday. Wendy said that Mom was so hateful to everyone, but especially her all day. Mom wanted everything done a certain way - her way and she just nags and nags until you want to scream. My sister Anne called my Mom out on this. Mom went to Wendy and talked spack about feelings being hurt and such, but did not apologize or act remorseful. She said they were not going to get into this right now.

My Mom use to be our champion. She was always there for us, so loving and understanding, but lately she is bitter and cold. I know she doesn't like aging and the aches and pains that come along with it, but that is no excuse for treating us this way. My Mom is 70 years old and is not in the best of health, but you think she would want to sit back and allow us to help her, but no.... she has got to critical and snappy with every comment and remark.

I have the God given talent of holding my tongue and letting these things roll off my back. It still hurts, but I deal with it. My sister Wendy can normally do this as well, but lately Mom has gotten out of hand.

Now, today I must go to my parents, act as if nothing is wrong so there is no strife or confrontation. I love my family so much. There has got to be a way we can get to the bottom of this. I know Mother is in pain with her back and must go to the bathroom 50 times a day with her lack of a colon, but she shouldn't lash out to the ones who love her the most. Her friends, who she treats like queens aren't going to be there to take care of her - we are.

My Father adores Mother and waits on her hand and foot, but she treats him like a crap. I can't bear to think about losing my parents. I know the day is going to come and I don't want to have hard feelings toward Mom. I think I will talk to my sister Patty about this. She has always been Mom's favorite. (Patty is one in a million and deserves this distinction.) There is no one else on this earth that can approach Mom tactfully and lovingly to get to the root of the problem.

Well, I am going to hope for the best and try to hold my tongue. This is Thanksgiving and I am thankful to have both my Mom and Dad. I will take the abuse and watch her treat her family badly, though I wished I could do something to help her. Who knows maybe today we can all talk and work this thing out.

I don't really believe in horoscopes, but today it reads: You've got to make sure that you're not just chugging through the day without paying attention to those around you. There's a lot more going on than you realize yet, so open those eyes!" I guess we will see what happens today.

No comments: